Director of Parks & Recreation, Full Time
Town of Munster
Posted on May 11, 2020
Salary Range: $75,249 – $86,500 per year DOQ (exempt)
The Town of Munster Parks and Recreation Department is seeking a Director of Parks and Recreation to administer the day to day operation of the Parks and Recreation Department in accordance with the general policies established in accordance with the Park Board and Town Council.
Located right on the Illinois border, along or near several interstates, and less than 30 miles from Chicago, Munster is an easily accessible town that prides itself on its state-of-the-art parks and recreational opportunities. This bedroom community of approximately 23,000 is a great place to live, work and recreate.
Essential Functions and Duties
- Manages the total operation of the Parks and Recreation Department according to approved policies and directives.
- Organizes and supervises an efficient administrative structure
- Implements Board and Town directives and policies in a timely and efficient manner.
- Oversees Superintendent of Recreation and Recreation Department; Coordinates recreation staff in developing and implementing comprehensive leisure services programs for the Town; Provides leadership and direction in the development of short- and long-range plans.
- Oversees Superintendent of Parks Maintenance; Oversees and manages the entire Park Maintenance system; gathers data for long-range goals, oversees maintenance of park property and grounds, athletic fields, playgrounds and facilities such as the Centennial Park Clubhouse, Community Park Social Center and Munster Community Pool. Oversees contracted management company at Centennial Park; manages golf, banquet and concession operations and provides additional special events.
- Maintains familiarity with master plans, financial reports and accepted practices relating to parks and recreation.
- Research, recommend and apply for grants and other funding opportunities; acquire the appropriate personal and departmental credentials to ensure that the department is grant and funding eligible.
- Promote department through involvement in schools, community groups, the business community, the public and other Town Departments.
- Responds to public inquiries about department business; answers questions, provides information, resolves complaints.
- Attends all Park Board meetings and advises them on issues presented to them for consideration. Recruits personnel; provides training and instruction; plans, coordinates, assigns and reviews work; allocates personnel; maintains standards and evaluates performance. Determines work procedures and prepares work schedules. Resolves grievances.
- Prepares a variety of reports, studies and correspondence; gathers and prepares data for studies and recommendations.
- Coordinates department activities with other departments.
- Prepares annual budget requests; performs cost control activities and monitors revenues and expenses. Ensures compliance with budget guidelines.
- Performs other related functions as assigned or required.
Bachelors in Park and Recreation Administration, Leisure Services or Public Administration or a closely related field from an accredited college or university required; Master’s in Public Administration (MPA) or MBA preferred; eight or more years of demonstrated experience in Parks and Recreation or a closely related field in a managerial or department head role.
Full-time, exempt/non-overtime eligible. Excellent benefit package, including health, dental, vision, pension.
Email resume by June 12, 2020 to:
Dustin Anderson, Town Manager
Town of Munster
1001 Ridge Road
Munster, IN 46321
The Town of Munster is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Town will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employee.